Are you utterly disgusted by the pictures of birds, turtles, and fish covered in oil? Are you tired of watching politicians point fingers at who is responsible for the BP oil mess? I am tired of all of this nonsense and ready to do something about it.
I, Mama, formally declare to do everything in my power to help my environment. I will do both the little things and big things to ween myself from depending on foreign oil, the auto industry, and incompetent politicians (both liberals and conservatives alike). I will do all I can to lower my carbon footprint and leave the world a better place than how I found it.
This is what I pledge to do.
- My next car will be a hybrid
- I will keep my current car as long as possible
- I will only wash full loads of laundry and when the weather permits, let the power of the sun dry my clothes instead of using a dryer.
- I will always vote and hold my politician accountable
- I will vote with my dollar and only buy products from companies I believe in.
- Reuse everything possible. If that means serving my dinner guests out of old mayonnaise jars, then so be it.
- Donate and give away my excess (clothes, books, video games, electronics, blankets, the old dog leash, towels, furniture, and everything else that is cluttering my home).
- I will grow as much of my own food as possible. Currently, I have 4 orange trees, a lemon tree, a lime tree, and a pear tree. I am also growing beets, onions, peppers, garlic, and cilantro.
- I will share my excess food with neighbors and friends.
- I will freeze some of my excess food for future meals.
- I will carpool whenever I can. This is huge because as much as I don’t like to admit it, I hate carpooling.
- I will limit my showers to 4 minutes each day.
- I will take inventory of my home and make it as energy efficient as possible.
- I will recycle after I have reused, reused, and reused.
- I will be more persistent about adding items to the compost bin.
- I will plant native flowers, trees, and shrubs to improve my local habitat.
- I will decorate my home with flowers from my garden instead of buying them.
- I will give more homemade gifts despite the urge to go the easy route and buy a giftcard.
- I will do my best 🙂 to only buy things that I need.
This is my list for now. I will update it as I think of more things to do.
Join me, and tell me what you will do to help make heal or environment.